We are currently 500 miles off the coast of Oregon and we have fantastic winds. We are on a beam reach, our cruising speed is 7.5 knots and the seas aren't too bad, so it is fairly comfortable. We expect these winds for another 36 hours or so, a short break with low winds (and I'm sure we will be too impatient to wait through and we will motor) and then we should have good winds entering the Columbia Bar. Yippee! If the winds change and the bar closes, we are busting through. We are hoping to cross into the river by the second of July. We still have the 90 miles to get up the river, but that will be easy, flat and we can use the time to get the boat ready to leave (pack some of our stuff up, clean, etc.).
We had some water get in a leaky porthole when we were in some weather a few days ago and we are still airing things out. Not easy when the temperatures don't get above about 50 during the day and there is ever constant salt spray on deck. I think we will just have to be grungy and wet for a couple more days.
I'm cold, but my sauna is calling....5 more days until we are in Portland and home.
The following pages chronicle the journey of the sailing vessel Pelagic and her crew. We are a family of 5; Michael, Amy, Zander, Porter and Anakena, taking our 42' Hallberg Rassy as far as we can comfortably go in three years. We left Oregon in September 2014, participated in the 2014 Baja Haha, continued on through the Panama Canal, into the Caribbean, up the coast of the US to Maritime Canada and from there crossed the Atlantic. After an arrival in Ireland we toured Scotland, then sailed down to France, Portugal and on to Morocco. In January of 2016 we slowed down considerably and enrolled the kids in a local Spanish school in Sanlucar de Guadiana for a few months. In the spring of 2016 we crossed the Atlantic towards the Caribbean. We are now in the Pacific, officially on our way home, albeit via a very circuitous path. We are currently in French Polynesia and looking at weather windows to Hawaii before finally making landfall back in the Pacific Northwest.
Currently our exact location is not available. Our spot coverage will pick us back up in Hawaii towards the end of May, 2017.
Our favorite sailing quote:
"If anythings gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there boss!" Captain Ron