If you saw the last pictures I posted, we got a "petit" green banana stalk about a week ago. Of course they all ripened at once and we have about 500 bananas that are now ready to eat! There's most certainly a way to separate a stalk of bananas and delay the ripening of one section, but of course I don't know what it is and we now have a plethora of bananas to eat! I feel bad wasting such fresh produce so I'm force feeding my kids bananas with every meal. Between a banana surplus and the tendonitis I have in my wrist from eating so much pomplemousse, I'm sure I won't get too much sympathy. These sure are nice problems to have.
We are starting to look at weather to make the 450 mile run south to the Tuamotus. Hurricane season officially ended today so in theory we are safe any time (the Marquesas are considered out of the hurricane belt, but the Tuamotus are definitely inside), but considering we've been affected by three atypical hurricanes (two out of season completely) in the last three years, we want to get a little input from some weather gurus about how warm the water temp's are compared to historical temp's and feel out if there is anyone predicting favorable conditions for a late hurricane or tropical storm to develop. I've downloaded weather for the next two weeks and to our collective amateur eye we don't see any warning signs, but we'd like a little more information. We will have to be a little more diligent about checking weather regularly and checking in to the local ham nets to make sure no bad weather is escaping our notice. Normally out of season I wouldn't be worried, but times they are a changing. Its tricky, because we don't want to run south too quickly, but by the same token we need to visit the Tuamotus and be back in Hawaii before the start of the hurricane season in the Northern hemisphere June 1st. It is a short window of time to see some of beautiful islands. If we go south and a late hurricane should develop, technically we could run back north, but I really don't want to be playing the equivalent of hurricane dodge ball with the weather Gods.
At this very moment we are sitting at anchor contemplating our options, a rum lime drink in one hand, our boat completely dwarfed by the mountains of Ua Pou, and I have to admit we've got it pretty good right now. Never mind that we have our share of problems out here (remember it isn't all giggles and rainbows as the brochure suggests), at this particular moment I am drinking in the amazingness that is this life. Tomorrow I may want to divorce my husband, throw all our home-schooling curriculum overboard and beat my kids, but right now is a moment of zen and I am reveling in it.
The following pages chronicle the journey of the sailing vessel Pelagic and her crew. We are a family of 5; Michael, Amy, Zander, Porter and Anakena, taking our 42' Hallberg Rassy as far as we can comfortably go in three years. We left Oregon in September 2014, participated in the 2014 Baja Haha, continued on through the Panama Canal, into the Caribbean, up the coast of the US to Maritime Canada and from there crossed the Atlantic. After an arrival in Ireland we toured Scotland, then sailed down to France, Portugal and on to Morocco. In January of 2016 we slowed down considerably and enrolled the kids in a local Spanish school in Sanlucar de Guadiana for a few months. In the spring of 2016 we crossed the Atlantic towards the Caribbean. We are now in the Pacific, officially on our way home, albeit via a very circuitous path. We are currently in French Polynesia and looking at weather windows to Hawaii before finally making landfall back in the Pacific Northwest.
Currently our exact location is not available. Our spot coverage will pick us back up in Hawaii towards the end of May, 2017.
Our favorite sailing quote:
"If anythings gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there boss!" Captain Ron