The following pages chronicle the journey of the sailing vessel Pelagic and her crew. We are a family of 5; Michael, Amy, Zander, Porter and Anakena, taking our 42' Hallberg Rassy as far as we can comfortably go in three years. We left Oregon in September 2014, participated in the 2014 Baja Haha, continued on through the Panama Canal, into the Caribbean, up the coast of the US to Maritime Canada and from there crossed the Atlantic. After an arrival in Ireland we toured Scotland, then sailed down to France, Portugal and on to Morocco. In January of 2016 we slowed down considerably and enrolled the kids in a local Spanish school in Sanlucar de Guadiana for a few months. In the spring of 2016 we crossed the Atlantic towards the Caribbean. We are now in the Pacific, officially on our way home, albeit via a very circuitous path. We are currently in French Polynesia and looking at weather windows to Hawaii before finally making landfall back in the Pacific Northwest.

Currently our exact location is not available. Our spot coverage will pick us back up in Hawaii towards the end of May, 2017.

Our favorite sailing quote:

"If anythings gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there boss!" Captain Ron






Tuesday, June 27, 2017

What a difference a day makes, June 27

Holy crap, we finally found the elusive North Pacific High. The bad news is we are in the middle of it, and no wind. The good news is, who cares the seas and wind are finally calming down and we are motoring. Sailing is totally overrated!

The high is expected to move west and we will be on the NW side tomorrow and from there we do expect to have good winds for the rest of our trip. Hmm, have I thought that we were in the clear before, yes, but this time it does look promising.

The weather is cold, so night watches are all about hunkering down and staying warm. Fortunately they haven't required any middle of the night sail changes or anything, so we can bundle up and stay under the dodger. Now that we are motoring we have plenty of hot water and I've started taking a hot water bottle up on watch with me. I know, not very sailory of me, but my old bones don't like this cold weather. Tough ex-Alaskan that I am and all.

We are still 934 miles away, so at 5 knots (our motoring speed) it will still be another 8 days. We are hoping with the SW wind we will make up a little ground. It would be pretty cool to make landfall in Astoria with fireworks in the background. A little celebratory homecoming just for us.

We are getting pretty excited to be home. It hasn't quite seemed real until now, but in less than 10 days I will be sleeping in my own bed. That is, if I can find my bed. We had a room in our basement built before we left, so most of our belongings are in there. Hopefully there hasn't been any water damage, hopefully we don't open the door to a room full of mildew. I checked on the house last summer and up until that point things were fine, but until we get there we won't know for sure. Regardless, my fruit trees will be there, my garden can still be planted, my beautiful kitchen with more than 18" X 24" of counter space, my flush toilets, and finally the knowledge that when I rest my head at night, my home will be in the exact same place when I wake up. The simple joys of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment