If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. That has been my mantra for the last 2 days. We have been beating into NE winds, trying to go east without losing our northerly progress, worried we would get too close to the coast without making the last 8 degrees of latitude and then be properly stuck off the coast of Northern California with only strong predominant north winds to contend with. Up a creek without a paddle so to speak. We are/were so tired of beating into the waves; slamming down into the water with a boom that resonated in the hull of the boat like a drum and sleep completely impossible. Remember sleep deprivation is a form of torture. For that reason we decided to call a time out. We've decided to heave to for at least the next 12 hours. We've only done this one other time and just for about an hour while we cooked and ate, but I wonder why we haven't done it more often. It is such a great break! We are slowly being pushed at 2 knots back the way we came, but we are grateful we aren't being pushed south. Prior to stopping, for 48 hours, we were flying at 7 knots, close hauled, sailing as hard to the wind as we could, every sail reefed to the max and we were miserable, but we couldn't sail any other direction. So the decision was made to stop sailing, call for a helicopter and get the hell out of dodge. No not really! We now think we will wait until the high comes to us, instead of racing out in front of it. At that point we hope to motor through the middle of it and then take the SW winds that it will create and ride them all the way home. We hope. It has been a tough routing passage for us. We usually feel pretty comfortable routing ourselves, but for only the second time in three years we used a professional weather router to help us plan our trip from Kona. We have been congratulating ourselves on every decision that we make the router seems to think is also our best option. So while the router concurs with us, we both seem to be wrong! Not terribly helpful! The weather in the North Pacific is not following its usual pattern and it's frustrating.
Anyway, we've officially stalled the boat for the last 6 hours and we already feel like new people. We had a warm meal, we took a long nap and we are getting a glorious reprieve from the shudder and boom the whole boat was experiencing as we plowed through the waves. My nerves are almost back to normal. I think I could stay like this forever. It is always something on these passages and we are just happy the discomfort we previously felt can be remedied with a little stall. The boat is still moving over 10 foot seas, but comparatively speaking, it feels like a mill pond out there.
Anyone want to trade places?
The following pages chronicle the journey of the sailing vessel Pelagic and her crew. We are a family of 5; Michael, Amy, Zander, Porter and Anakena, taking our 42' Hallberg Rassy as far as we can comfortably go in three years. We left Oregon in September 2014, participated in the 2014 Baja Haha, continued on through the Panama Canal, into the Caribbean, up the coast of the US to Maritime Canada and from there crossed the Atlantic. After an arrival in Ireland we toured Scotland, then sailed down to France, Portugal and on to Morocco. In January of 2016 we slowed down considerably and enrolled the kids in a local Spanish school in Sanlucar de Guadiana for a few months. In the spring of 2016 we crossed the Atlantic towards the Caribbean. We are now in the Pacific, officially on our way home, albeit via a very circuitous path. We are currently in French Polynesia and looking at weather windows to Hawaii before finally making landfall back in the Pacific Northwest.
Currently our exact location is not available. Our spot coverage will pick us back up in Hawaii towards the end of May, 2017.
Our favorite sailing quote:
"If anythings gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there boss!" Captain Ron