The following pages chronicle the journey of the sailing vessel Pelagic and her crew. We are a family of 5; Michael, Amy, Zander, Porter and Anakena, taking our 42' Hallberg Rassy as far as we can comfortably go in three years. We left Oregon in September 2014, participated in the 2014 Baja Haha, continued on through the Panama Canal, into the Caribbean, up the coast of the US to Maritime Canada and from there crossed the Atlantic. After an arrival in Ireland we toured Scotland, then sailed down to France, Portugal and on to Morocco. In January of 2016 we slowed down considerably and enrolled the kids in a local Spanish school in Sanlucar de Guadiana for a few months. In the spring of 2016 we crossed the Atlantic towards the Caribbean. We are now in the Pacific, officially on our way home, albeit via a very circuitous path. We are currently in French Polynesia and looking at weather windows to Hawaii before finally making landfall back in the Pacific Northwest.

Currently our exact location is not available. Our spot coverage will pick us back up in Hawaii towards the end of May, 2017.

Our favorite sailing quote:

"If anythings gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there boss!" Captain Ron

Saturday, May 20, 2017

May 20, Day 2, Eiao Island, Marquesas

Day 2, I am on watch, it is 2am and the winds are light. We aren't moving that fast, but we aren't bashing into big seas, hard on the wind, so I am very content. The wind still has a little more northern component than I would prefer, but it is supposed to come around sometime today.
Yesterday we stopped at the northern most island of the Marquesas, Eiao. It is uninhabited, has incredibly steep walls, and only one place to anchor. We anchored after just one night at sea, lowered the dingy and planned to stop briefly on the steep beach for an hour or so. There was a small makeshift tent/hut on some rocks that looked like it might be used by fisherman from time to time, but no one had been there for awhile. The walls of the valley looked so steep we didn't think we'd get very far following the small creek, but we managed to find a trail, or at least a string of cairns to lead us up the side. In the distance you could hear feral goats calling and the occasional cry of a rooster. Surprisingly we broke out of the small trees and brush after about an hour of climbing and bouldering to find a summit of red clay and sand. It looked like we had landed on Mars. The top was windswept and devoid of many trees. The spine of the island was right in front of us. Unfortunately we didn't bring enough water to explore the whole top of the island, which would have been easy walking and a great hike, but we did stay on top for an hour and we had fun walking barefoot on the cool, silky clay. We descended down the from the 500 meter summit, eating ripe custard fruit as we passed them and eventually ran back into the muddy creek. Because of the outflow, the bay wasn't clear, but just beyond the breakers we could see a dozen fins in the water and caudal tails clearly identifying the visitors as sharks. No distinguishing tips on their fins, so they didn't necessarily look like reef sharks. We watched them for a while and then remembered we had to swim to the anchored dingy. Fortunately the wind had blown the dingy close to some rocks and Mike only had to swim about 15 meters to the boat. From there he nosed up to the rocks and we could pile in without touching the murky water.
After lunch we pulled up the anchor and resumed our passage to Hawaii. We were escorted away from the island by a huge pod of dolphins, jumping totally out of the water and swimming along side the boat for about an hour. They were nice final moments in Polynesia.

We are now about 1900 miles from Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment