The following pages chronicle the journey of the sailing vessel Pelagic and her crew. We are a family of 5; Michael, Amy, Zander, Porter and Anakena, taking our 42' Hallberg Rassy as far as we can comfortably go in three years. We left Oregon in September 2014, participated in the 2014 Baja Haha, continued on through the Panama Canal, into the Caribbean, up the coast of the US to Maritime Canada and from there crossed the Atlantic. After an arrival in Ireland we toured Scotland, then sailed down to France, Portugal and on to Morocco. In January of 2016 we slowed down considerably and enrolled the kids in a local Spanish school in Sanlucar de Guadiana for a few months. In the spring of 2016 we crossed the Atlantic towards the Caribbean. We are now in the Pacific, officially on our way home, albeit via a very circuitous path. We are currently in French Polynesia and looking at weather windows to Hawaii before finally making landfall back in the Pacific Northwest.
Currently our exact location is not available. Our spot coverage will pick us back up in Hawaii towards the end of May, 2017.
Our favorite sailing quote:
"If anythings gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there boss!" Captain Ron
Friday, September 30, 2016
After a month in Grenada we have become soft. We've forgotten how the sea should dictates your movement out here and how there is no such thing as planning. Mike reminds me that the most dangerous item on a cruising boat is a calendar, and while I know he is right, I am now the one itching to move. The storm has passed and from our little protected bay I want to get out there and start making some progress towards our destination (Trinidad was a detour). Matthew was a fairly mild storm as it passed about 150 miles north of us, but it is expected to only intensify. Two days past us it is a Category 2 storm and there is currently 90 knots of wind north of the eye with 30 foot seas and only getting bigger and stronger. The question is, how long will it take for those seas to dissipate? We will be following in the wake of the storm, but how much wake is tolerable? Turns out I am not very good at waiting and being patient!