The following pages chronicle the journey of the sailing vessel Pelagic and her crew. We are a family of 5; Michael, Amy, Zander, Porter and Anakena, taking our 42' Hallberg Rassy as far as we can comfortably go in three years. We left Oregon in September 2014, participated in the 2014 Baja Haha, continued on through the Panama Canal, into the Caribbean, up the coast of the US to Maritime Canada and from there crossed the Atlantic. After an arrival in Ireland we toured Scotland, then sailed down to France, Portugal and on to Morocco. In January of 2016 we slowed down considerably and enrolled the kids in a local Spanish school in Sanlucar de Guadiana for a few months. In the spring of 2016 we crossed the Atlantic towards the Caribbean. We are now in the Pacific, officially on our way home, albeit via a very circuitous path. We are currently in French Polynesia and looking at weather windows to Hawaii before finally making landfall back in the Pacific Northwest.

Currently our exact location is not available. Our spot coverage will pick us back up in Hawaii towards the end of May, 2017.

Our favorite sailing quote:

"If anythings gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there boss!" Captain Ron

Monday, August 29, 2016

Arrival Grenada, August 25

We left the busy, somewhat polluted harbor in Chagaramas, Trinidad to spend the day in Scotland Bay, just around the corner, and finish the last of our to do tasks before setting sail to Grenada.  It was a relief to be in a scenic anchorage again and be able to swim.  Trinidad is crazy hot and it's tough not to be able to jump overboard, but the harbor was not very inviting.  Ana thought the water was beautiful with its iridescent top layer of hydrocarbons shimmering in the sunlight! We stopped just for the day in Scotland and with no rest for the wicked, as soon as we had checked off all our tasks, we headed away from Trinidad late in the evening.  Just to add a little thrill to our departure, Mike noticed the radiator hose had been torn away from its fitting and we were leaking fluid into the bilge.  The culprit seemed to be a wayward child playing hide and seek in the engine room.  New boat rule, no playing in the engine room! There still haven’t been any more reports of piracy between Trinidad and Grenada, so we felt secure leaving, but to be safe we still sailed in a cover of darkness without any of our navigation lights, although we kept our AIS on so the big ships could see us.  We had an amazing sail, probably one of our best, with a completely flat seas and about 11 knots of wind.  With our bottom sleek and fast we were easily sailing at 6+ knots and with a 3 knot current assist at times, we had an incredibly fast passage.  
Back in Grenada Porter and Ana didn’t lose any time catching back up with friends and they had a great beach day running around with a herd of other boat kids.  

No comments:

Post a Comment