The following pages chronicle the journey of the sailing vessel Pelagic and her crew. We are a family of 5; Michael, Amy, Zander, Porter and Anakena, taking our 42' Hallberg Rassy as far as we can comfortably go in three years. We left Oregon in September 2014, participated in the 2014 Baja Haha, continued on through the Panama Canal, into the Caribbean, up the coast of the US to Maritime Canada and from there crossed the Atlantic. After an arrival in Ireland we toured Scotland, then sailed down to France, Portugal and on to Morocco. In January of 2016 we slowed down considerably and enrolled the kids in a local Spanish school in Sanlucar de Guadiana for a few months. In the spring of 2016 we crossed the Atlantic towards the Caribbean. We are now in the Pacific, officially on our way home, albeit via a very circuitous path. We are currently in French Polynesia and looking at weather windows to Hawaii before finally making landfall back in the Pacific Northwest.

Currently our exact location is not available. Our spot coverage will pick us back up in Hawaii towards the end of May, 2017.

Our favorite sailing quote:

"If anythings gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there boss!" Captain Ron






Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Porter is on a writing kick.....

This may be a repeat, but I believe this is a pic from our Bay of Biscay crossing.  Porter is actually standing up straight,
Another good week here in Spain.  So, where should I start....  One of my friends from home asked why the Spanish don’t have lunch at school.  Well, to tell you the truth I really don’t know for sure, I know that they have a little snack at school and then when they get home they have a really big lunch and siesta (afternoon rest) and later a small dinner. I can’t live like that so I have a big lunch and a huge dinner. I also had one of my friend’s askewhat the kids in Spain are like. Not too different, but at school they really work on their penmanship because they use boleys that is Spanish for pen and they can’t mess up. I mean they spend a really long time on their writing and their papers, even their drafts look like works of art.  Everyone plays soccer, they call it futbol, and they are really good.  They also play on pavement so they can’t dive. They also have to take English and French in 5th grade.  The school is very small and I have 3 grades in my class, but I still only have 10 kids in my class. I have a crush on one of them her names Nayara and you probably cant pronounce it, well try this Ny-ar-a.

Here is a little Spanish lesson for you:

uno,dos,tres,cuatro,cinco,seis,siete,ocho,nueve and diez 
that’s one.two,three,four,five,six,seven,eight and ten
spoon is cuchara, knife is cuchilla, fork is tenedor, plate is plato, table is mesa, kitchen is cocina, bed is cama, night table is mesita de noche, and pencil is lapiz.

Well, that is just about enough Spanish for today.


 adios amigos, Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment