The following pages chronicle the journey of the sailing vessel Pelagic and her crew. We are a family of 5; Michael, Amy, Zander, Porter and Anakena, taking our 42' Hallberg Rassy as far as we can comfortably go in three years. We left Oregon in September 2014, participated in the 2014 Baja Haha, continued on through the Panama Canal, into the Caribbean, up the coast of the US to Maritime Canada and from there crossed the Atlantic. After an arrival in Ireland we toured Scotland, then sailed down to France, Portugal and on to Morocco. In January of 2016 we slowed down considerably and enrolled the kids in a local Spanish school in Sanlucar de Guadiana for a few months. In the spring of 2016 we crossed the Atlantic towards the Caribbean. We are now in the Pacific, officially on our way home, albeit via a very circuitous path. We are currently in French Polynesia and looking at weather windows to Hawaii before finally making landfall back in the Pacific Northwest.

Currently our exact location is not available. Our spot coverage will pick us back up in Hawaii towards the end of May, 2017.

Our favorite sailing quote:

"If anythings gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there boss!" Captain Ron






Wednesday, November 18, 2015

November 16 weighing options

We are currently in Cadiz, Spain and trying to make plans for the next year. We have two options. One, we can sail back to Oregon via the Panama Canal and be home by July. The second option is to go back up the Guadiana River and stay over the winter. We spoke with the local school director on the Spanish side and they can admit the 3 kids for the school year. The school and village is quite small. Classes average 5-8 students and all instruction would be in Spanish. The kids are excited about it, we would be on a very calm river located between a Spanish and a Portuguese town and there is a small expat community of Dutch and English boats. The downsides are that it is a small community, remote area and it would delay our return home by another year. 
We are waiting to hear if the renters will want to stay another year (plans hinge on that decision), whether we can leave the dog another year (kids miss her, my aunt's family are probably quite tired of her), and deciding whether this is the best decision for the family.  Lots of pros and cons to weigh.  I don't want this to be one of those things we regret not doing our whole lives.  
What to do?



No comments:

Post a Comment