The following pages chronicle the journey of the sailing vessel Pelagic and her crew. We are a family of 5; Michael, Amy, Zander, Porter and Anakena, taking our 42' Hallberg Rassy as far as we can comfortably go in three years. We left Oregon in September 2014, participated in the 2014 Baja Haha, continued on through the Panama Canal, into the Caribbean, up the coast of the US to Maritime Canada and from there crossed the Atlantic. After an arrival in Ireland we toured Scotland, then sailed down to France, Portugal and on to Morocco. In January of 2016 we slowed down considerably and enrolled the kids in a local Spanish school in Sanlucar de Guadiana for a few months. In the spring of 2016 we crossed the Atlantic towards the Caribbean. We are now in the Pacific, officially on our way home, albeit via a very circuitous path. We are currently in French Polynesia and looking at weather windows to Hawaii before finally making landfall back in the Pacific Northwest.
Currently our exact location is not available. Our spot coverage will pick us back up in Hawaii towards the end of May, 2017.
Our favorite sailing quote:
"If anythings gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there boss!" Captain Ron
Tuesday, January 27, 2015
Jumped the gun headed to Zihuat, January 27, 2015
Set out at 9am this morning for the long trip to Zihuat. The weather has been benign lately, mostly variable winds off the coast of Mexico. We sailed out of the bay with 15 knots of wind. It was great for the first 5 miles or so as we headed out of the bay. Once out, we hoped the wind would change up a little, instead we found ourselves heading to weather with 18 knots of wind and sailing into white caps. After about three hours of bashing and the kids feeling sick, and only make about 3 knots in the direction we wanted, we made the hard call to retreat. It is frustrating to lose that much time, but looking more closely at the weather charts, there was a short 12 hour, predicted, period of wind on our nose and we decided to head right into it! Sailing 101; check your weather right before you head out! We are currently tucked into Manzanillo where we will wait out the rest of the afternoon and head back out in the early evening. At least the kids will sleep through it if it is still rolly.