The following pages chronicle the journey of the sailing vessel Pelagic and her crew. We are a family of 5; Michael, Amy, Zander, Porter and Anakena, taking our 42' Hallberg Rassy as far as we can comfortably go in three years. We left Oregon in September 2014, participated in the 2014 Baja Haha, continued on through the Panama Canal, into the Caribbean, up the coast of the US to Maritime Canada and from there crossed the Atlantic. After an arrival in Ireland we toured Scotland, then sailed down to France, Portugal and on to Morocco. In January of 2016 we slowed down considerably and enrolled the kids in a local Spanish school in Sanlucar de Guadiana for a few months. In the spring of 2016 we crossed the Atlantic towards the Caribbean. We are now in the Pacific, officially on our way home, albeit via a very circuitous path. We are currently in French Polynesia and looking at weather windows to Hawaii before finally making landfall back in the Pacific Northwest.

Currently our exact location is not available. Our spot coverage will pick us back up in Hawaii towards the end of May, 2017.

Our favorite sailing quote:

"If anythings gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there boss!" Captain Ron

Thursday, January 22, 2015

The French Baker, January 21, 2015

Ding, ding, ding....a soft voice over the VHF says "the French Baker is on B dock" and we are all out of bed, scrambling for our clothes, trying to get to B dock before the baker motors away in his boat. The French baker services the marina, the boats anchored out and many of the restaurants in Barra de Navidad with amazing, fresh from the oven, pastries, baguettes and croissants. He motors around with his little bell, a lovely alarm clock for many of the boats in the marina. Since it was our last day in Barra we indulged ourselves and bought mini key lime pies, chocolate croissants and cinnamon rolls. $30 dollars poorer, but with happy bellies we left Barra and headed 2 miles up the coast to Melaque. We are hoping to meet up with some other kid boats here and then start the 200 mile leg to Zihuatanejo. We are dragging our feet, stalling, hoping the wind forecasts change, but as it stands we are looking at motoring the majority of the next leg. Those notoriously light winds off the coast of southern Mexico are slowing our progress, but with every passing day, our chances of overlapping with friends in Zihuatanejo increases. We really need to make some southerly progress, but February 2nd starts Sailfest in Zihuatanejo, which brings many of the friends we have met over the last 4 months to the same place before everyone starts breaking off and going their separate ways. Sailfest is a week of organized activities, sailing related, that all benefit the local schools. From Zihuatanejo, those that will spend more than one season in Mexico will start retracing their steps and heading north to be out of the hurricane latitudes before June, those that will puddle jump (cross the Pacific) will start provisioning and either leave from PV or close to in March and the rest of us headed south through Central America and into Panama will have to start moving as well. June seems a long ways away, but we need to be in a hurricane safe spot in the next 5 months. If we continue as planned and decide to cross the Atlantic we need to be out of Florida by the middle of May. If we decide to abort our European plans we can stay far south, maybe Colombia, and we can move at a much slower pace. We sure would love to sail to Europe, but that seems like a lot of Ocean to cross with three kids. Still pondering......

No comments:

Post a Comment