The following pages chronicle the journey of the sailing vessel Pelagic and her crew. We are a family of 5; Michael, Amy, Zander, Porter and Anakena, taking our 42' Hallberg Rassy as far as we can comfortably go in three years. We left Oregon in September 2014, participated in the 2014 Baja Haha, continued on through the Panama Canal, into the Caribbean, up the coast of the US to Maritime Canada and from there crossed the Atlantic. After an arrival in Ireland we toured Scotland, then sailed down to France, Portugal and on to Morocco. In January of 2016 we slowed down considerably and enrolled the kids in a local Spanish school in Sanlucar de Guadiana for a few months. In the spring of 2016 we crossed the Atlantic towards the Caribbean. We are now in the Pacific, officially on our way home, albeit via a very circuitous path. We are currently in French Polynesia and looking at weather windows to Hawaii before finally making landfall back in the Pacific Northwest.

Currently our exact location is not available. Our spot coverage will pick us back up in Hawaii towards the end of May, 2017.

Our favorite sailing quote:

"If anythings gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there boss!" Captain Ron

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Visiting Uylsses, November 9, 2014

By some stroke of luck, just prior to leaving for our trip, we found out that the whale that Mike’s father caught off the coast of Iceland 35 years ago and had in their park for two years, was now residing at SeaWorld San Diego.  I shamelessly contacted the marine mammal curators in the park and tried to get access behind the scenes to see Ulysses, the second largest killer whale in captivity.  He is a large male Orca and when Mike was young his father chartered a Icelandic Vessel to catch several young whales.  They caught three and kept one.  The whale was at the Rio Leon Safari Park in Spain for two years before it outgrew their pool and was sold to the Barcelona Zoo.  From there the family lost track of the whale.   We got a great up close and personal meet and greet with Ulysses.  We had lunch with the park’s marine mammal curator and after the orca show met three of Ulysses trainers.  They let the kids feed the whale, throw him ice chips and they learned a few hand signals.  The favorite was the blow hole farting sound!  The poor whale was forced to do that numerous times.  As you can imagine, that never gets old to a nine year old.
The first 15 years of Ulysses life were spent in the company of dolphins so his vocal patterns are unique to other whales in captivity.  When he first moved to San Diego the female whales didn’t have much to do with him and he was difficult to train.  Typical Bradford. Otherwise he seems as well adjusted and as happy as a captive whale can be with 9 other whales as company.  He will have his first calf in December and apparently the chicks finally dig him!
Needless to say the kids loved the experience and are quick to point out to everyone we meet that their Grandfather once owned one of the Sea World whales.  That’s some street creds for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment