Tropical storm Vance was upgraded to a hurricane while we were in Turtle Bay. While sitting in the bay waiting to decide whether to stay put or go the VHF was buzzing with a hundred amateur weather forecasters trying to decide what was the best plan of action. Too many cooks in the kitchen! Long story short, the fleet split. The race organizers suggested we go, but with 25 or so boats refusing to move, they were obligated to stay put and ground the HaHa. We along with another 40 or so boats thought our best move was to make some miles before Vance could come up our way and pin us in Turtle Bay. Our next stop was going to be a very protected, safe harbor, so we set off towards Bahia Santa Maria. Our sail down was fast and we had great following seas, so we were happy with our choice. When Vance turned east and was no longer a threat, we all met up in Bahia Santa Maria and we officially re-joined the HaHa.
The Bay was beautiful; steep, rugged hills surrounding a picture perfect white sand beach. We took the dinghy up the mangrove river, searched for huge sand dollars and explored the intertidal. The receding tide left just enough critters in the pools for the kids to torment! Another beach party with sand volleyball, a band and great food completed a nice two day visit.
The following pages chronicle the journey of the sailing vessel Pelagic and her crew. We are a family of 5; Michael, Amy, Zander, Porter and Anakena, taking our 42' Hallberg Rassy as far as we can comfortably go in three years. We left Oregon in September 2014, participated in the 2014 Baja Haha, continued on through the Panama Canal, into the Caribbean, up the coast of the US to Maritime Canada and from there crossed the Atlantic. After an arrival in Ireland we toured Scotland, then sailed down to France, Portugal and on to Morocco. In January of 2016 we slowed down considerably and enrolled the kids in a local Spanish school in Sanlucar de Guadiana for a few months. In the spring of 2016 we crossed the Atlantic towards the Caribbean. We are now in the Pacific, officially on our way home, albeit via a very circuitous path. We are currently in French Polynesia and looking at weather windows to Hawaii before finally making landfall back in the Pacific Northwest.
Currently our exact location is not available. Our spot coverage will pick us back up in Hawaii towards the end of May, 2017.
Our favorite sailing quote:
"If anythings gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there boss!" Captain Ron