The following pages chronicle the journey of the sailing vessel Pelagic and her crew. We are a family of 5; Michael, Amy, Zander, Porter and Anakena, taking our 42' Hallberg Rassy as far as we can comfortably go in three years. We left Oregon in September 2014, participated in the 2014 Baja Haha, continued on through the Panama Canal, into the Caribbean, up the coast of the US to Maritime Canada and from there crossed the Atlantic. After an arrival in Ireland we toured Scotland, then sailed down to France, Portugal and on to Morocco. In January of 2016 we slowed down considerably and enrolled the kids in a local Spanish school in Sanlucar de Guadiana for a few months. In the spring of 2016 we crossed the Atlantic towards the Caribbean. We are now in the Pacific, officially on our way home, albeit via a very circuitous path. We are currently in French Polynesia and looking at weather windows to Hawaii before finally making landfall back in the Pacific Northwest.

Currently our exact location is not available. Our spot coverage will pick us back up in Hawaii towards the end of May, 2017.

Our favorite sailing quote:

"If anythings gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there boss!" Captain Ron

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sea World, by Zander, October 26, 2014

Did you know my Grandfather caught the biggest killer whale in Sea World San Diego and second biggest in the world in captivity?

Today we went to Sea World to see the killer whale my Grandfather caught.  When my Dad was a little kid, his Dad rented a boat and went out to Iceland and caught an Orca.  He brought the whale back to his zoo in Spain.  For 20 years my Dad and his family owned a zoo.  They had lions, tigers, bears, giraffes, zebras, rhinos and a pool with dolphins and a killer whale.  They trained whale to do tricks like Sea World's Whale shows.  After 2 years they sold the whale to the Barcelona Zoo because the whale outgrew their pool.  He also cost $1000 a day to keep and he ate 60 pounds of fish a day.  And that was when he was just a baby! When the whale was about 15 he was bought by Sea World San Diego and they named him Ulysses.

We got free tickets to Sea World and we visited the whale.  We got to have lunch with him and some of the other whales.  After the show the trainer let us feed him and give him ice cubes.  They also taught us some hand signals and they answered our questions.  My Dad also answered some of their questions.  Ulysses lived with dolphins for the first 15 years of his life.  Sea World trainers had a hard time teaching him to socialize with other orcas because he spoke dolphin.  He still has a very squeaky sound for such a big whale.

After we left the whale we did all the other things at Sea World. We rode roller-coasters and saw shows. It was an amazing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment